Sunday, October 23, 2016

Helping with writing at home

Provide lots of writing materials, different color paper, cards, notebooks, markers, and colored pencils.  Remind your child what they can write about.
#LanguageArts #WritersWorkshop #AnchorCharts Really cute anchor chart for Writer's Workshop!:


Have your child practice labeling a picture even with just the first letter of the word at first.  Move on to trying to use the letter sounds to write the word. 

Labeling Anchor Chart for Kindergarten and First Grade:

Later have them start writing simple sentences with sight words we have worked on: 
I see a __________. 

I like my _________. 

I can ___________. 

Remind your child to use spaces in their writing.  One way I do this is to use a spaceman (a spaceman glued onto a popsicle stick).   This is a fun  way to remember to space after a word. Soon they will remember to use spaces on their own.  You can use anything to remind your child to space after a word. 


Once your child has been writing sentences for a while, remind them what good writers do.  
An adorable writing checklist for primary grades! One column for the kiddo, one for the teacher to do together and staple to their writing!:

The more your child writes and has fun with it, the better they will become !  


No comments:

Post a Comment